Here's what I do. Select some nice, fat carrots. Cut 'em up into matchsticks. Throw the cut carrots onto a greased cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray (or toss in olive/canola oil). Next, sprinkle on your favorite spice combo (see below for ideas). Put the whole sheet into an oven preheated to 425*F. Bake for 40-ish minutes, or until the carrot fries have reached the crispiness of your choosing. (A minute or two under the broiler can be nice, too.) Serve plain or (like me!) with ketchup. Scarf.
Although carrot fries are delicious plain or simply with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper, here are some other spice options you can play with:
- garlic powder!! (Okay, okay, I put garlic powder on with every spice combination.)
- chili powder
- cumin with garlic and onion powders
- chili powder with cinnamon
- sea salt, pepper, and cinnamon
- maple syrup and cinnamon
- garam masala (or curry powder)
- basil and oregano
- paprika and sea salt/garlic powder
Are you still reading? Go cut up some carrot fries! But before you do, why not help out some Haitians?